Charting the New Frontiers of Intellectual Property Protection of Luxury Goods Conference
Date: June 15 and 16, 2012 (Friday and Saturday)
Time: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm (Friday, June 15, 2012)
9:30 am – 6:30 pm (Saturday, June 16, 2012)
Venue: Council Chamber, 8/F, Meng Wah Complex, University of Hong Kong
Organizer: Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong
In the context of the growing importance of intellectual property in the luxury business in mainland China and Hong Kong, the conference seeks to explore the cutting-edge issues concerning intellectual property protection of luxury goods. It aims to bring together leading scholars and practitioners to share their perspectives on this rapidly developing area of legal practice. What are the hot topics in the area? How should the law change in light of changing social, economic, technological, and global conditions? How can we rethink the future of intellectual property law and the luxury market?
This conference serves as the premier multi-disciplinary platform for open exchange and discussion of critical developments in intellectual property protection of luxury goods at the global level. It also affords an opportunity for examining cutting-edge issues that inform intellectual property practice in Hong Kong and mainland China, in particular how local practitioners can respond to challenges created by these new issues.
The Tentative List of Speakers:
• Ann Bartow, Professor of Law, Pace University School of Law
• Barton Beebe, Professor of Law, New York University School of Law
• Peter K.F. Cheung, Director, Intellectual Property Department, HKSAR Government
• Haifeng Huang, Partner, Jones Day
• David Llewelyn, Professor of Intellectual Property Law, King’s College London
• Alice Lee, Associate Dean and Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong
• Shih Yann Loo, Partner, Baker & McKenzie, Hong Kong
• Kal Raustiala, Professor of Law, UCLA School of Law
• Cyril Sayag, Vice President, Legal & Public Affairs at Pernod Ricard Asia
• Susan Scafidi, Professor and Director, Fashion Law Institute at Fordham University School of Law
• Jeremy Sheff, Associate Professor of Law, St. John’s University School of Law
• Michal Shur-Ofry, Lecturer, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
• Valerie Sonnier, Global Intellectual Property Director, Louis Vuitton/LVMH Fashion Group
• Haochen Sun, Assistant Professor of Law, University of Hong Kong
• Uma Suthersanen, Professor in International Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London
• David Tan, Assistant Professor of Law, National University of Singapore
• Loke-Khoon Tan, Partner, Baker & McKenzie
• Mary W.S. Wong, Professor of Law, University of New Hampshire School of Law, USA
• Peter Yu, Kern Family Chair in Intellectual Property Law, Drake University Law School
• Catherine Zheng, Partner, Deacons
• Diane Zimmerman, Samuel Tilden Professor of Law Emerita, New York University School of Law
Note: Admission is free for attendees who do not need CPD points.
An administrative fee will apply if you need CPD points: (1) HK$3,000 for 12 CPD points for attending the conference on June 15 and 16; or (2) HK$1,500 for 6 CPD points for attending the conference on June 15 or 16.